Monday, August 28, 2006

let it BE


I did a survey a couple of years ago to see what my walking style says about me. It was in a magazine, or in an online quiz... I don't remember which, and I don't remember what it said about my personality based on my walking style, but I thought about it today when I was walking to work. I realized that I look down when I walk to and from work. I don't naturally look down...I like to look up and see what is going on in the world, but I look down because I don't want to attract unwanted attention on the street. It would probably be fine to look at about 8 or 9 out of every 10 people I pass by but there is always that chance that the person I make eye contact with is in the crazy minority. When I am walking with friends, I slow down and take it in, but I feel like I can't do this when I am by myself walking to and from work. The sermon this Sunday was about living in the here and now...for us to just BE. I think I do this fairly well, but it is something that God has worked on in me and there is still a lot of room for me to grow in this area, particularly when it comes to walking to and from work. I walk fast on the way to work and VERY fast on the way home. I get annoyed with people who unknowingly cut me off or stop right in front of me...I get pedestrian road rage! I try to make an effort to slow down my pace by leaving a little earlier from the house, and I think this works for the most part walking to work, but I need to work on my pace when I leave. I love the perspective I get from my window overlooking a busy intersection. There are people everywhere. Each one has his or her own story...job, family, friends...and they all have places to be. They don't talk to each other unless they know each other, and they hardly ever smile. Granted, this is in a busy part of town where no one really knows each other, but still, it is interesting and fairly sad to see. I think the challenge to slow down and take it all in is the greatest in New York City. I know that if I can learn to just BE here, I can do it anywhere! (the picture is me making 'nanna puddin' for the 4th)

5 comments:

Kat said...

that is sad that no one really smiles when walking to work. Maybe you could change that. Smile at like one person per day...don't pick a creepy guy out though to test it on. Just think... you could start a smile craze in the big apple. If this smile think works ... just thing of the possibilities. People might call nyc the big smiling apple because of the cowgirl from Texas (they will still call you a cowgirl even though you aren't really a cowgirl some because you are from TX and some people don't know better...but they will mostly refer to you as the cowgirl because it's good marketing...

ILOVEYOU

walk like an Egyptson

Kat said...

man...sorry...that comment is so hard to read. it is a product of freeflow thinking...poetry...harhar

ISTILLLOVEYOU

steph-a-ronie said...

YO.
Hey, you're pretty cute.. bananas and all :O)

I really liked your blog today... you're a good inward writer. I agree with Kat-er-ama... no smiling at crazy people. Hey, I have an idea! Maybe you can buy extra Halloween candy (they're selling it at Sam's already!) and then you can pass it out on the street. Yeah! Do it, do it!

"Here, have a Now or Later.. Have a good day!"

Kat said...

comeon tam...post again!!!! I am waiting impatiently!

steph-a-ronie said...

post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post pleasssssssssssse :O)